Thursday, September 20, 2007

Internship, etc.

Wednesday morning marked the first day of my internship at la Asamblea Permanante por Derechos Humanos (Permanent Assebly for Human Rights.) My interview was at 10:30, by 11:00 I was making signs, and by 12:00 I was along La Avendia 12 de Agosto protesting Texaco´s complete lack of responsibility regarding oil extraction in Ecuador´s Amason region. More info here

APDH is dedicated to human rights in Ecuador and holds workshops for young people all over the country--teaching about human rights. In addition, they´re also very politically active.

This is a core component of my time in Ecuador, I mean, the program is called Community Internships in Latin America. In preparation for the time ahead, last night was spent discussing charity vs. solidarity when doing volunteer work.

The office is a mere 3 blocks from my house. I´ll be there from 10 AM to about 1:30 PM Monday-Friday. As of yet, what I´ll be doing is a bit unclear...stay tuned for updates.

On another note entirely, today we were waiting at the immigration office to receive our CENSO (ID card for foreigners,) and of course, Saved by the Bell was on, it was dubbed in Spanish, of course, and can I just say that Zach Morris is just as charming when dubbed...?

Tonight: a club 4 blocks from my house where a cumbia band is playing. Ladie´s get in free.

Dirty Dancing: Quito nights.

No comments: