Monday, September 17, 2007

Facts and Figures

Damas y Caballeros,

Well, I realized most of my blog has consisted more or less of me talking about how much I love Ecuadorian beer, and how I´m homesick 50% of the time. Mom sent me a few logistical questions regarding my daily life in Ecuador via e-mail, so I figured that I´d answer them here, as I´m guessing that my mom isn´t the only one interested in these things.

1. What is your host house like---and the neighborhood??

My home here is the main level of a two story building, another family lives in the upper level. The house is very nice with lots of windows. My room is pretty tiny, but comfortable. It consistently smells like delicous food. The neighboorhood is very much in a commercial district. On one end of the block is a mall and Supermaxi (grocery store chain) and on the other end is La Avendia Colón-where you´ll find lots of stores, restuarants, government buildings, and a KFC every 10 blocks...

2. How do you get around to meet up with friends from school------especially at night???

Depending on where we´re meeting, I walk, take the bus, or a taxi. At night I ALWAYS take a taxi, as it´s not safe to walk around alone at night. Taxis are very cheap, as are buses. During the day, if I´m not going too far, I like to walk to get to know the city/exercise.

3. What type of food have you been eating???

Breakfast is usually a whole-grain cereal with fruit and some milk. Lunch is the main meal of the day and ALWAYS starts out with some kind of soup. I´ve been here for 2 weeks and I´ve yet to have the same soup twice. Usually they consist of different kinds of vegetables and/or beans. My favorite has been black bean potato soup. The second plate usually consists of rice and different vegetables or fruits. Sometimes it´s paired with a vegetable based "meat" or tofu. Since this is the main meal of the day, an evening meal is very light. We usually just have (delicious) bread with some jam or cream cheese with coffee or tea. If we´re really hungry, we have leftover soup.

4. Do you have any trips planned yet to the rainforest or Galapagos Islands???

So far, nothing planned for the Galapogos. We have a week off in late October, this is when I would most likely go. As for the rainforest, I believe we´re going in about 3 weeks. The place is actually what is called a "cloud forest," as due to the elevation the trees literally meet the clouds. I hear it´s like a dream. Also, it is known to be one of the most eco-diverse places on EARTH!!

5. Is things to buy expensive or cheap---examples??

More or less, things are slightly cheaper. I haven´t bought much at all. It very much depends on where you go. In Mariscal district (touristy) you´ll find a standard bottle of domestic beer for about $1.20. On the street, I´ve seen signs advertising lunches for $1.50! I can use the internet for an hour and 1/2 and pay just over $1.00. An important note: Ecuador has been using the USD since the mid ´90s to offset inflation after the oil boom, and the economic crisis that followed it.

6. What is your weekly schedule like?? Classes, internship, spending time with host family???

I´m still not on a regular schedule yet. These past two weeks have been a mix of orientation to the program, themes we´ll cover, and visits to sites around the city. Starting NEXT week I´ll have my internship from about 9AM-1PM on Monday-Friday. On Monday and Wednesday afternoons we´ll have class, and I think on Tuesday and Thursday will be integration seminars where we´ll discuss our daily life here, host families, struggles, successes, learnings, etc.

7. What is your mailing address???

If you want my mailing address, email me at kaerickson@stthomas.edu

Also...

I had previously reported that I will be interning at Jesuit Services for Migrants and Refugees, however, that has changed. I met with the HECUA program director this morning, and she reported that the director of the JSMR organization didn´t feel prepared/ didn´t have adequate work for a foregin intern. This is all fine with me, as for some reason I didn´t feel entirely comfortable at the interview....
I will be exploring a few more options this week, with the idea of starting this upcoming Monday.

On Saturday, we had a picnic in Parque Metropalitano with all the students and their host families. We played charades, did yoga, and ate delicious food. Truly, HECUA is a program of activists, punks, artists, and humanities majors. Love it.

Two very exciting upcoming events in Ecuador:
-The fall equinox on Sunday-where there will be NO SHADE. Crazy.
-Elections on the last Sunday of the month to vote for representatives to re-write Ecuador´s constitution. Again.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time...

No comments: