Elections were held on Sunday to vote for representatives to re-write Ecuador´s constitution. More info on that here. Voting is obligitory in Ecuador, and, as a result, selling or consuming alcohol was deemed illegal from Friday-Sunday. Prohibition, if you will.
The lack of access to bars and clubs resulted in a very movie-themed weekend for me, with concentration on Ryan Gosling´s work. Friday was hot, and delicious cheese empanadas in Plaza Foch, with an Ecuadorian orchestra playing movie themes, while scenes from the said movies were played on a giant screen. They even played some music from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I almost cried.
On Saturday, I had my first Ecuadorian movie experience. A very American-feeling theater in a very American-feeling shopping mall. Other students and I saw Fracture (this is where Ryan Gosling comes in, as he plays a main role.)
On Sunday I woke up early and headed to Parque Metropolitano with my host family and another HECUA student to do 2 hours of jugdo, capoeira, and yoga. Capoeira is the most amazing and fun thing anyone could ever do. It´s an old Brazilian martial art that mimics traditional martial arts as well as dancing. Brazilian slaves used this to train in defense, but it appeared that they were simply dancing the samba. I hope to find a place where I can take more classes when I return home.
Post-work out, Sunday was a pretty emotional day, for a number of reasons. As a result of it being Sunday, and also election day, all the net cafes I´m familiar with were closed, preventing me from being able to call home for the first time. A pretty bad deal for everyone involved. So, I walk home after my search for a cabina and I´m already pretty bummed, then my host mom is watching The Notebook, I sit down and watch it with her, and of course, I just lose it. (This is also where Ryan Gosling comes in.) So there you have it, a dry, but tear soaked weekend in Quito.
I also have a challenge for everyone at home. According to my sister, the leaves are somethin´else this fall. EMAIL ME SOME PHOTOS!
This week: mornings at my internship, class, and at the end of the week, a little trip to Mindo.
Monday, October 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment