Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Bloomin´ where I´m planted.

I feel right at home at my internship here in Ecuador.

This is because in many ways, it echoes my internship I had at Legal Aid this past summer in Willmar, and by that I mean I have too much time on my hands. Although APDH has hosted A LOT of foreign interns in the past, for some reasons, they just don´t have a lot for me to do right now, so I spend a lot of time using their free and fast internet (which is hard to come by here.)Overall, a pretty sweet deal.

Regarding elections this past Sunday...OFFICIAL results won´t be known for another week or so, however, it´s pretty obvious that Correa´s party really swept the vote. More or less, this translated to Ecuador being able to look forward to a less corrupt, and more environmentally and socially friendly country. Awesome.

This week, when I´m not interning, going to class, homeworking, or trying to successfully call home, I´m following Mom´s advice and blooming where I´m planted. For me, this means acknowledging that at home, everyone is pretty much doing the some old thing in the same old place, and remembering that I´m doing some pretty amazing things in a pretty amazing place...even if it´s trying to get through a reading on immigration and xenofobia while having to look up crazy verbs every 3 sentences.

Also, look forward to: Photos from Mitad del Mundo (soon, I promise!!) as well as photos and details from my upcoming short stay in Mindo.

**A note: FYI...anytime a word is highlighted in GREEN, you can click on it and get more information about this particular topic. Sometimes I forget that not everyone was born in the age of the information super highway...**

No comments: