Okay, this is it. The HECUA CILA Fall 2007 term has oficialy ended. On Thursday, the other students and I gathered at a couple different houses to prepare a goodbye dinner. Me made some pretty delicious enchiladas and chili, but without a doubt, the star of the evening was the Concha y Toro wine. We all met at our program director, Martha´s house along with our host families to enjoy the food. We also received pretty cool T-shirts we had designed as a rememberance of the program. They´re bright green, in the style of the flags you´ll find all over Quito supporting la Alianza País (Correa´s party.) They´re obnoxious, but great.
Following the little fiesta, we dispersed to our homes to put the finishing touches on our final independent study projects.
The next day (Friday) is when things really started to get crazy. I had my last morning at my internship. They thanked me for my work and gave me a super sweet Evo Morales T shirt. It wasn´t too sad, because it´s hard to get attached to people when you´re just doing data entry for them...
Following lunch, I walked to the HECUA office one last time to hand in my final document to Martha. We hung out and chatted for a while. I´m for sure going to miss her and the rest of the HECUA staff--they´re pretty cool ladies.
Since Friday was the official end of the program, students are starting to head home as early as Saturday. So Friday night was spent going through round 1 of goodbyes and hasta luegos. In a fashion true to how we have enjoyed Quito´s nightlife in the past 3 months, it involved cheap falaffal, cheap beer, cheap cocktails, and maybe too much salsa and reggaetón for our own good.
The next few days (as in my FINAL THREE) will be mix of last minute shopping, welcoming home my host sister from Costa Rica, packing, confirming flight plans, more goodbyes, and probably one last Pilsener.
It´s pretty amazing how I´ve spent a good part of this trip longing for airport hugs and reunions, to the point where my heart would skip a beat out of absolute excitment. Now, there´s still beats being skipped, but mixed with an overwhelming feeling of "uhh, really, like, I really have to leave?"
Yeah, it´s complicated.
My plan is to do one last entry (probably on Monday.) All I can say now, is I´ll see you very, very, very soon.
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment