Wednesday, December 5, 2007

El Panecillo and why Germania couldn´t go.

First, after several complaints, my last entry has been edited with some translations. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows what a llapingacho is.

Last night was awesome and funny.

My host mom, dad, brother, and I went to Panecillo (that would be an external link.) I went there during the day within a week of arriving in Quito, but I´d heard that it´s beautiful at night. You´re on top of a hill and you can see the entire city and all it´s lights. Being as it´s chirstmastime, there were giant (kind of gaudy) wisemen and stable animals accompanying La Virgen. Also, seeing it is Fiestas de Quito (celebrating the Spanish foundation of the city) there where games, food, and a general air of festivity.

It was incredibly beautiful.

The funny part was that while my host dad, and brother and I were walking around, my host mom sat in the car with a portable television watching her Zorro (an Ecuadorian soap opera of sorts.) She kind of apologized by exclaiming "La esclavitud! La esclavitud!" (The slavery!) In reference to her being a slave to night time television, I guess.

Then we had pizza. Choclo pizza. Pizza with corn on it. I have never had anything more delicious.

¡Viva Quito!

No comments: