Saturday, November 24, 2007

"Up where the clouds meet the snow."

To begin, deepest apologies for the complete lack of updates. I suppose to be honest, nothing has been too terribly blog-worthy.

I´ve been busy at my internship creating a giant database of NGOs, media outlets, senators, and congresspeople from the U.S. It´s a bit arduous, but I´m getting to be a total pro with Microsoft Excel. So, that´s good I guess.

Thanksgiving came and went, as it always does. I was able to call home and talk to like, EVERYONE. It was awesome. Thank yous to Mom, Dad, Kate, Warren, Pat, Beth, Cindy, Mary, Ryan and Grandma for putting up with the horrible delay. Tou are all the best and I love you.

Being the sentimental sap I am, the day was kinda weird. The worst part was being SO hungry and thinking of everyone at home eating an amazing dinner. Although, the asparagus I had for lunch really was delicious, and Mom promised me turkey with mashed potatos when I get home. Exciting.

Lately, when I´´m not making databases or missing Thanksgiving, I´ve been working on a giant paper for my independent study. I´m on the translating stage. So that´s taking 20 pages of my written work in English and translating it into Spanish. It´s going quite well, except I hit snags when I have to translate things like "international lending regulations."

I´ve also been looking forward to having the entirity of the week of 3 Dec - 7 Dec off to do a bit of traveling and, of course, enjoy Fiestas de Quito, however...SURPRISE we only get Wednesday and Thursday off that week (as does the whole country.) Well, hopefully I can swing a long weekend in the rainforest or something...

I´m down to about 3 weeks, which is absolutely incredible. Once the 18 Dec rolls around, I´ll be ready to get back home, but leaving will be horrible. I know Í´m just going to be a mess on the plane. Just a giant emotional train-wreck. Should be fun. :)

This week: relatively normal for the first half, then off to Otavalo for Thursday-Saturday, including homestays with indigenous families, a world famous market, and some pretty lakes. Look for a play-by-play next weekend.

Today, work on that paper, and celebrate Emma´s birthday with Mongolian barbeque and cheap cocktails. Yum.

No comments: